The Other Hannah

Everybody is familiar with the Hannah Montana. A young girl who has a double life. But I am not going to write about her, rather I would write about Hannah. Same name but the similarities stop there.

The first scene warms you up with a blurred urban crowd shot with an upbeat music in the background. Then you see a woman is walking towards you. She is talking about London. You will see a very chic and classy lady. Expensive suit, a pearl necklace and carefully put make up. Then she says:
The first thing you should know about me is that I am a whore. - Belle/Hannah

After that opening scene I knew I was hooked. This is series not new. Actually Secret Diary of Call Girl has already aired its final episode. I read about this series a long time ago. A good friend of mine gave a copy of seasons 1-3 but I did not have extra time to watch it. Finally I got to watch it and got addicted to it. When I googled more about the series and found that it's only up to season 4.

The series is about a book that was also based on a blog but Belle du Jour. The author's identity was kept secret until recently when the author herself revealed her true identity to the public. Pretty interesting, you think?

What I loved about the series besides the lingerie and the sexy wardrobe is the humor. I didn't know that prostitution could have a humorous side. Belle is played by Billie Piper. If you think her face is familiar its because she was a famous pop star in the nineties. I did not really like her then but I like her now. I like her more as an actress than a singer (but somehow being a pop star came in handy when made goofy dance moves in one episode).

One of the things that somehow nearly hit home is her best friend Ben. I used to have a guy best friend. Seeing their dynamic made me miss having a guy best friend. But I suppose you can not be really best friends with a guy because in the end they came more than friends (Oh no spoiler!) and I on the other hand also had to cut my ties with best guy friend (I know the drama!).

I don't suggest this series for the general public because it definitely for adults. It's not for the faint of heart or the prude. Its for people who are open to explore, people who are not easily get offended and people who embrace their sexuality.

I will definitely add the books where the series was based on to my reading list.

0 comments:

Post a Comment